Posted by: Anon | 2013-02-11

Walking as exercise

How many calories would I burn if I walk briskly for an hour a day?
Will it help me lose weight combined with a healthy eating plan?

Dear Walking
It is difficult to say exactly how many kcal you would burn if you walk briskly for an hour a day because in addition to using up energy while you exercise, this hour of activity will stimulate the so-called Basic Metabolic Rate of your body (which actually uses the highest percentage of daily energy output) for up to 24 hours thereafter. You may thus use up much more energy after your exercise than during the actual exercise session. However, walking briskly for an hour a day will help you to lose weight and also improve your fitness greatly. If you combine the brisk walking with an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet & Nutrition' at the top of this page, then on 'Healthy Diets' and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), then you should lose between 0,5 and 1 kg per week.
Enjoy the walking