Question
Posted by: Driks | 2010-02-03

Walking

Hi, is walking on the treadmill the same exercise as walking on the road? Also I have one bad knee what can I do to make walking a long distance easier?

Hi Driks

For all intents and purposes, yes it is. There are some very subtle biomechanical differences, but these are insignifcant during walking, and I would not consider them in this argument. So then the exercise is the same. The only tiny difference is that there's no wind resistance on a treadmill and that's why normally a gradient of 1% is considered to simulate outdoor exercise. That's probably less during walking though - maybe 0.5%.

As for the knee, what does "bad knee" mean exactly? If it's a simple injury, then maybe strengthening the muscles in your quads would help. If it's a serious chronic problem, then you need to seek out assistance, because only a one on one consult would help identify the cause, and hence the treatment.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010-02-05

Hi Driks

Reply to fitnessdoc