Posted by: Leigh | 2009-01-06

Hi. I' m a 32 year old female, 1.8m tall, weigh 73kg. Since the beginning of December I' ve started to walk 30 - 60 min per day, 5 days a week. I' m also doing 60 lunges every other day, coupled with wall push ups as well as crunches (abt 20). I' d like to go down to 70kg, and hopefully a size 34 again! I don' t want to go under 70kg. About 5 years ago I weighed about 68kg, then I went on the injection and the weight just piled up. Also, I' m drinking between 6 -8 glasses of water per day (sometimes substituted for green tea) and I eat relatively healthy. Eg, oats or muesli in the mornings, afternoon grilled chicken breast with a salad and vinaigrette dressing, evenings a small meal. I should lose a bit, right?

Hi Leigh

Sounds decent, in principle. It's very difficult to predict the likely success of a programme, though. The exercise is certainly a good start, in that you're now on a consistent programme, with enough exercise and you're doing it often enough for long enough. So keep that going,a nd build on it - you might, for example, feel inspired to start doing a little bit of jogging in the middle of that walk, just to raise the intensity slightly. That always gives exercise a boost.

On the side of diet, that's something which you need to see a dietician about if you're really serious. I suspect, given what you've said, that you are eating too little, which is just as bad for weight loss as eating too much. You might benefit by seeing someone and having them advise you on how to put together a diet with 5 or 6 small meals a day, and of the right foods. This is often the missing ingredient, that swings things towards weight loss, and if you do feel that you're stuck, this might be the best bet.

However, just stick with it, whatever you do. Make the goal fitness, and try to get fitter and enjoy the exercise, and the rest will take care of itself!