Question
Posted by: Leigh | 2008/06/23

walking

My friend and I started walking. We are walking twice a week, 30 minutes at a time, uphill and downhill, no straight roads. 2 days a week we're doing stretches, push ups and sit ups, for 30 minutes. Is this enough excercise?

HI Leigh

It may be enough to lose weight - that is unfortunately a question that I can't answer accurately, because there are too many factors affecting it to be able to say yes or no. There is diet, your current weight, the intensity of your exericse training, the volume, the frequence, genetics etc.

So many factors affect it that it is therefore a guess. Looking at each one individually helps though. In your case, the volume and the frequency of training could perhaps increase a little. The recommended advice is that five days a week is good, between 30 and 45 minutes per session is also very good. So that means you would benefit if you could even add another day a week of walking, that way you'd be up to 3 days a week of walking, and that's already a big step up. Then don't take away the two days a week of exercises you're doing, because they're also part of that package, and bring you to five days a week.

So my assessment of your programme is that it should work, you're on the right track, but that you might benefit if you can just add one session a week more of walking. Again, there are factors outside exercise that can easily undermine your plans, and so just be aware of this and make sure that diet is optimal.