Question
Posted by: Overweight | 2008/06/20

Walking

I never do any exercise, now I'm trying with my pedometer to walk 10 000 steps a day, but my body starts shaking and I start getting heart palpitations. Am I taking it too fast, or will it get better as I go along?

Expert ImageArchive

Hello,
Firstly investigation by your medical doctor is vital to understand the reason for your palitations.

Secondly please see a health professional who can advise you on the appropriate exercise programme taking in to consideration your full state of health. Lots of factors need to be considered so what you are doing is safe and effective. Walking may not be the first choice exercise for you.
Please let me know if you have further questions.

Dr. Guy Ashburner Osteopath

1
Posted by: walker | 2008/06/21

If you have never done any form of exercise before, its best to see your Dr first for a full medical checkup. You need to start slowly.....10 000 steps a day would be like about 10 - 20 kms or so....thats what you would aim for...you need to first stretch, your quads, hamstrings, etc. walk slowly and each day try and speed up a little then after one week, walk a little more, further, if you are going out on the road, only do 1km to begin with....then the following week try 2 kms see how you are doing then increase a little until you are able to walk 5 kms without feeling shaky. The optimum way to start is to join a walking club as they will teach you to monitor your pulse rate, for your age and weight etc. you will know in what range you should be. Its not so important to get to the 10 000 steps as it is to feel well and fit and eventually be able to walk at a good speed to increase your heart rate to optimun level. There are some very good books around too, the trick is to do it slowly, one never goes straight in and try and walk 10 000 steps! Make sure you have good walking shoes, go to a good running shop who will assist you in fitting you with correct supportive shoes. Good luck! Also remember to stretch once you have completed walking, its important, there are many different type of stretches which will prevent injuries, shin splints, etc.

Reply to walker