Question
Posted by: Sleepless | 2008/05/28

Wake myself with a fright in my sleep

Dear Dr,
I have always suffered from very bad sinusitis. So as a result breathe through my mouth most of the time, specially while sleeping.
Can you explain what causes me to snore myself awake. Its almost as though my tongue drops to the back of my throat or something happens at the back and i waken myself with a 'snork'. Sounds funny but its not when you dont get a good night sleep and I always wake up puffy eyed and drained.
What I have found since wearing a mouth brace, to stop me grinding my teeth, that I dont wake up that often anymore.
How is it related?
Thanks for any advice.

Thank you for visiting health24.com.

It is possible that you are suffering from sleep apnoea syndrome where soft tissue falls to the back of the throat and causes you to stop breathing for a couple of seconds. This is when you wake up with a loud snoar. I suggest that you consult an ear nose and throat specialist, in order to have a full examination, as well as a sleep apnoea test.

I am not sure how your mouth brace influences your condition.

Kind regards