Posted by: Tired | 2009-02-27

Wake myself up with a jolt.

I wake up never feeling refreshed as though I havent even had any sleep. My children have always complained that I snore or make strange sounds while sleeping. I have found that I often wake myself up with a jolt as though I am swallowing my tongue.

Because of grinding my teeth while I sleep the dentist has made me a mouth guard to sleep with. I have found this stops me from waking with a jolt as I dont have that feeling of something dropping at the back of my throat with the mouth guard in, but it disturbs my sleep because its so uncomfortable and bulky in my mouth and often chokes me when I need to cough.

Oh yes and I dont know if this relates but I am finding my weight is just climbing even though I am trying to lose weight by exercising.

Please what can I do WITHOUT taking any drugs to get a good nights rest.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

It sounds as though you are experiencing something which is disturbing the quality of your night's rest. There are a number of these conditions, pretty much all of which are treatable. However, you will have to have the situation tested. Please ask your doctor to refer you to someone who knows about sleep medicine. You will probably need to be tested overnight in a sleep laboratory, and then the appropriate advice can be given to you.