Question
Posted by: lorna | 2010/11/18

wait gain

Good day, i have a 4 year old baby who does not want to eat, I’ ve tried different supplement to give him appetite but not winning, he''s very busy and does not want to eat, doctors and pharmacist have prescribed multi vitamin but not helping. Kindly advice on the correct diet to follow or medication to take that can also give him appetite. Thanks

Dear Ioma
It is indeed difficult if one has a 4-year-old who does not want to eat. This can be due to many different reasons: 1) psychological factors - children who are anxious or stressed may refuse to eat; 2) physical factors - food allergies or sensitivities, enzyme deficiencies, problems with swallowing, lack of appetite - can all play a role. I would recommend that you take your son to a registered dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will be able to assess his growth and also calculate the nutrient intake he is getting. If he should require any additional supplements (calcium, iron, etc) the dietitian will be able to recommend such a supplement. The dietitian will also be able to determine if he is perhaps allergic or sensitive to certain foods which would then need to be avoided.
I trust that the dietitian will assist you in getting your lad to eat a healthy, balanced diet.
Wishing you and your brave lad all the best

1

Dear Ioma