Posted by: Robert | 2009-07-29

I am not really worried much about losing weight (probably only about 3 or so kgs overweight), but I do want to reduce my waistline. Is it best to focus on reducing the " bad"  fats or is it more complicated?

Dear Robert
The basic principle of weightloss is to reduce your energy intake and because fats (both good and bad) have the highest energy content of all macronutrients (namely 37 kJ per gram), reducing your total fat intake is a good idea. Try using an energy-reduced, low-fat, high-fibre diet (click on 'Diet' at the top of this page, 'Weight loss', ‘Balanced diet’ and then on 'Slimming Diet' for a copy of such a diet), and increase your energy output by doing regular exercise (running, jogging, skipping, cycling, swimming, join a gym or Walk for Life). To specifically reduce your waistline you need to add targeted exercises like sit-ups and waist twists to your exercise programme. Ask Fitness Doc for exercises that slim down the waistline.