Question
Posted by: Pete | 2012/06/08

Wafrin vs Chrons

62 year old male diagnosed with AF and put on wafarin until defibrillation can be done. Problem is I suffer from chron’ s disease. My very well controlled crohn’ s acted up and I had to have a blood transfusion and was put on cortisone, the wafarin was then stoped. Is there anything ells that can be used that will have fewer side effects than wafarin ? Will it help to use cortisone until the defib proses was done and warfarin use is stopped. –  I am otherwise in good health.

Expert ImagePharmacist

Hi Pete Since your situation is such a delicate one, it should best be treated under the close supervision of your specialist. Other anticoagulant options, including a variety of injectables, are available and I'm sure your doctor would consider every option should it be required. Regarding the cortisone and warfarin: Caution is advised as the combination of warfarin and certain cortisones (e.g. prednisone) may lead to dangerous interactions.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2012/06/11

Reply to pharmacist