Question
Posted by: Teepee | 2012/07/27

VSD and pregnancy

Hi GynaeDoc,

I had a VSD when I was a baby, it grew closed with time so I did not need surgery. However, with every procedure done, such as dentist visits etc, i''ve been given medication to take. My husband and I are about to start a family and I am concerned as to whether my VSD may act up again or put myself and my baby at risk. Is there a chance of this happening?

If you have no symptoms, it probably won't be a big problem, but you should book early when pregnant so that you can be monitored.It would not affect the baby, but there is a higher chance of the baby being born with a heart problem if you were born with one.