Posted by: Karin | 2009-07-19

Von Willebrand disease

Dr, Ive been diagnosed with Von willebrand type 2 disease...I' ve been to a specialist physisian...He don' t feel the need to test me for heamophilia...Do I need to be worried about this? Where does a heamatologist fits in? Is it necessary to see one? Thanx

Expert ImageArchive

I have to say that I cannot claim to be a expert on VMD, however the research that I have done does indicate the following:

In type 2 VWD, the von Willebrand factor doesn't work the way it should. Type 2 is divided into subtypes: 2A, 2B, 2M, and 2N. Different gene mutations (changes) cause each type, and each is treated differently. So it's important to know the exact type of VWD that you have.

Judging by this comment it would appear to be important for your condition to be fully investigated. Perhaps consulting with a specialist with a special and direct interest in this specific disease would be the way to go.