Posted by: Karin | 2009-04-15

Von Willebrand disease

Hi doc...I was diagnosed with Von Willebrand disease type 2, I' m 39 yr old. The specialist said that I must have inherited it from my parents...My father has a brother who died of internal bleeding after accident and had a history of bleeding and because my father bruises easily and bleeds alot I assumed I inherited it from him. He was tested for VWB last week and the tests came back negative today...I don' t think I got it from my mom because of her history...Is it possible that one of them could be a ' carrier'  of the disease and test negative? My second question: Could my tests results be wrong?....I do have the clinical symptoms of VWB-|-well and they did do blood tests to rule out other causes, for eg cancer that could have cause my VWB....Thanx

Hallo Karin
It is difficult to answer your question as there is not a single test that will confirm VWB disease - it is a combination of clinical signs and blood tests that leads to the diagnosis. VWB can be hereditary or aquired due to auto antibodies. I think members of the same family can have it in different degrees and women usually notices it much more due to excessive menstruation.