Posted by: Bobby | 2009-01-05

Voluntary Retrenchment

Hi, i currently work for a mining group in the Goldfields. Last year we were told that we can apply for voluntary retrenchment packages this year. We are supposed to be 10 electricians and currently we are only 3 as many have resigned and emmigrated to Australia. We were told we would get a scaresity allowance and to date have not received anything yet. I am also planning to start my application to emmigrate and would therefore want to take voluntary retrenchment so as to start the process. I have worked on the mine for 7 years.

1.Can they refuse my application for voluntary retrenchment?
2.What is payable to me?

Your response will be highly appreciated.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

They can refuse your application for voluntary retrenchment. Normally there is a time limit in which you can accept.

The also have the ability to say that your skill is so scarce that they can now not allow it to go any futher. If they do however accept, then you would get paid the same as the others receive.

There is no such thing as a scarsity allowance.