Question
Posted by: Dezi | 2010/01/11

Voltaren

HI, I am waiting for a hip replacement operation and in the meantime I m using Voltaren (Diclofenac) 100mg 3 x per day, without it I cant walk. I' m seeing Dr Piet Botha on the 20 Jan ' 10 for final arrangements to have my hip replaced, what must I do in the meantime?? Can I use the medication?? I hear that 2 weeks before the operation I should not use it, is that true? I really don' t want to use medication which would hold back the operation, as I' m really battling to walk, sit, lie down etc. Please let me know. THanks

Expert ImagePharmacist

D

The dose you are taking (300 mg/day) is exceptionally high and since Diclofenac inhibit platelet aggregation (and have been shown to prolong bleeding time in some patients) I recommend discussing when you should stop treatment with your surgeon.

I however doubt that it will be 14 days.

1
Posted by: pharmacist | 2010/01/12

D

Reply to pharmacist