Question
Posted by: Anonymous | 2008/10/20

VLCD

How do a person stabilise yourself after being on a VLCD without gaining any weight as it would not be nice to gain all the weight again or should I have to follow a cal restricted diet for ever?

Dear Anonymous
If you have lost weight successfully with a very-low-calorie-diet then it is essential that you learn correct eating habits and how to select a balanced diet which will help you to maintain your target weight. I would recommend that you consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: www.adsa.org.za and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area). The dietitian will work out a maintenance diet that will prevent you from regaining the weight you have lost. Daily aerobic exercise is also important to prevent regains. Try swimming, cycling, jogging, skipping, rowing or working out in a gym (concentrate on cardio exercises).

1
Posted by: VLCD | 2008/10/21

I Found this on VLCD diets:

Long Term?

Whether or not these radically different diets can realistically be sustained long term is doubtful.

Most studies have found that after several years, people who have been placed on these extreme diets generally tend to put the weight back on, and then some. For example, researchers at the University of Pennsylvania published a study in 1989 in the International Journal of Obesity,[2] which found that placing obese women on a VLCD for 2 months and then shifting into a LCD for 4 months resulted in an average loss of 13 kg. Some of the women in the study received behavioural therapy (nutritional counselling) during this time (to teach them how to make healthier food choices) whereas the others did not. After one year, 32% of the women who received both treatments had managed to maintain their weight comparison with only 5% who had received only the VLCD. Not surprisingly, even the additional counselling was not enough to help these women maintain their extreme dietary makeovers for much longer than that, as 5 years later, most women in both groups had put all their lost weight back on, and over half had actually put on more than what they did to begin with.

Reply to VLCD