Our expert says:
About the use of Vivitonin(Karsovan) in an animal with DCH (Dilated Cardiomyopathy): I contacted Dr Mats Abatizidis from MSD Animal Health and he forwarded the following information.
Safety studies have shown that propentofilline(Vivitonin/Karsosan) was found to be safe and well tolerated in dogs when used in conjunction with ramipril and furosemide to treat congestive heart failure.
Other searches have shown that there are no drug interactions between propentofilline and other drugs, however, one of the articles (propentofylline use in CHF) discusses potential drug interactions based on the pharmacological properties of propentofilline. But more studies re needed to either prove or disprove these hypotheses.
The article raises awareness of potential interactions with the following drugs:
• most anti-arrhythmic agents (especially beta-blockers)
The same article suggests that propentofilline may potentiate the clinical effects and adverse events when combined with:
• other xanthines e.g. aminophylline and theophylline
• antihypertensives (nitroprusside)
• peripheral vasodilators (hydralazine, isoxsuprine, nitroglycerine, nitroprusside)
• oral antidiabetic drugs
Being an adenosine potentiating drug, its spectrum of activity is very wide and directly or indirectly leads to:
• Increases oxygenation of tissues by way of improving their perfusion
• Improves musculoskeletal function
• Improves respiratory function, with the bronchodilatory effects being most useful (a characteristci common with other xanthine derivative drugs)
• Improves neurological performance, and
• Improves cardiovascular function
Dr Mats Abatzidis
B.Sc. (Phys & Micro) B.V.Sc. (UP)
Technical & Product Manager - Companion Animals
MSD Animal Health
The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal
advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.