Question
Posted by: Lu | 2008/09/29

Vivid dreams = confusion in reality

I have always been a vivid dreamer and have a huge imagination. My day dreams are vivid too, and I see things that aren' t there (other people can' t see them). Lately I' m depressed and confused because I never remember what was a dream and what really happened. Mostly this is because I' ve been having violent nightmares for the past couple of weeks, and these dreams feel so real. When I am hurt in a dream, I really feel the physical sensation of pain even after I wake up. My husband says that I don' t act things out in my sleep though, however. I also dreamt my husband cheated on me, and was angry at him for days even though it was a dream. The emotions stayed behind within me. Basically Im just getting so exhausted!! I have never had one single night in my entire life where I haven' t dreamt. Its just getting more difficult as I get older, and now have to deal with a job and responsibilities while my head swims with all this stuff. Any advice?

It'd be helpful for you to see a good local shrink for a full assessment of the situation you describe, and then discuss ways of dealing with it. Sounds like you need to develop more skill in telling the difference between dreams and reality. Some medications increase the amount of dreaming, some decrease it

2
Posted by: shhhh | 2008/09/30

" The phenomenon of South Africans manoeuvring between their professions and traditional healing occurs across the racial and cultural spectrum.

John Lockley, a fully fledged white sangoma known as Ucingolwendaba (the messenger), is a psychology honours graduate from Rhodes University in Grahamstown. He graduated as a sangoma in 2007, after spending 10 years training in a township..... Nowadays Ucingolwendaba continues to dream and follow his dreams. "  - sunday times 21 September 2008

Reply to shhhh
Posted by: Comment | 2008/09/30

After rading an opinion piece on the Sunday Times about people across the line becoming Sangomas and Nyangas, i am tempted to advise that you check if you are not supposed to go through that proceess (calling).

I wonder if your dreams weren' t just some of your fears. I am sure with CS' s recommendation that you visit a good local shrick for assessment that will also be tested. I remember reading CS' s comment in another posting about dreams sometime back - he does not believe in significance thereof. We constantly dram from dusk until wawn, he believed. We just recall only the last dream/s ijust before we wake up, he held.

I believe in dreams. To me they are significant. Often whatever I dream of becomes reality. However, i do go through similar patches where I can' t recall the dreams. There may be concotions to take for that. Works for me. Depends on who/where you are.

Reply to Comment