Question
Posted by: JD | 2009-10-01

Vivid dreams

Hi, I am female in my late 50' s, don' t smoke have an occasional glass of wine probably every second or third night. Although I take a tablet for anxiety at night before going to bed, I wake up almost every hour. When I do manage to fall asleep for a longer period I have the most vivid dreams and scary dreams to a point where I woke up with my heart pounding and am almost too frightened to go back to sleep. I have a carefree life no worries whatsoever in fact if you can call it a " perfect life"  then that is it. Since a child when hearing about a bad car accident or a violent movie or even hearing about violence or an horrific experience someone has had has always disturbed me and to this day it still does, but it is the vivid dreams that are the most scary to deal with. Is there an explanation or possible reasons for this? Thank you for your advice.

Expert ImageSleep Expert

Everyone dreams 3 to 5 times every night, but usually we dont remember the dreams. The content of the dreams, that is, the fact that they are scary, suggests some underlying anxiety problem. A psychologist should be able to help you with it.