Question
Posted by: Thembi | 2010-06-12

Viva Bafana Bafana!

believe you have misunderstood me. I am quite content for you to have an opinion, in fact glad for it as I''''m sure your opinion helps many in need. I said quote: "  By all means rant and rave. Meanwhile life goes on with or without you."  What saddens me is that a website that offers psychiatric services is used as a tool to vent cynical frustrations about the World Cup. Believe me, I too have had my reservations and in fact wrote to the Cape Times in this connection - perhaps a more appropriate medium for expressing these concerns. But if World Cup woes qualify as psychiatric/psychological problems then by all means complain away. I in fact happened to be following up on a traumatic event in one of my family members lives when I came across all the criticisms from anon, me, etc. Doc, I don''''t really understand Western (Euro-Americocentric) psychology and I don''''t think Western psychology necessarily understands African subjects. When I speak of spirit, collective ubuntu, intuitive rationality, holistic ontology with the cosmos - most people look at me blankly. Rhythm and spirit is the architect of our being, it is the purest expression of life force in Africa. Talk is cheap - we don''''t talk it out in psychotherapy. To us music and rhythm are more important ways of communication. Nobody seems to understand what it is that drives the exploited poverty stricken farmworker to sing and dance in the fields as they pick the grapes. Healing is grounded in the collective existence of the microcosm. To an extent I think that we have a lot to offer Western psychology - an understanding of the origin and essential nature of things, of the purposive character of the universe. All of this is expressed in the bigger picture of the World Cup. Maslow insisted that subsistent needs be met yet time and again exceptions to the strict hierarchy cast doubt on his theory. Was it Frankl who realised that even in man''''s darkest moments meaning could be found - self transcendence? Like you, I hope and pray that some material good will arise from the World Cup but until then I will join my countryfellow and say - this picture is bigger than you or I - enjoy the rapture of the moment because now is all we have and tomorrow may not come at all. Rise up South Africa - rejoice in the spirit of humanity. Ke Nako!!!

Ah, yes, life ( and death ) goes on with or without any or all of us.
This forum is open to all, like anon and yourself, to voice their concerns, without strict censorship. Your views were very interesting and strongly expressed, as were anon's, and dealt with issues many people find troubling - even if not strictly about mental illness.
I like your word "woes" - there are many aspects of irritation and even misery which are not illness as such.
There are of course real and relevant diferences in CULTURE, and in how people from different backgrounds view and interpret the world ; I'm not sure there's any good evidence that any of us differ in basic psychology. And you'll find beliefs in collective phenomena, oneness with the universe, etc., in many dultures. I suspect part of our problems in all communities lies in our departure from such broad communal / shared beliefs, towards a materialistic culture with very individualised selfishness. Some of the ugly things we see in our communities are completely foreign to any of our traditional cultures - baby rape, killing for cell-phones, and so on, are foul from whatever culture one views them,offensive to all of them - and yet many perpetrators don't seem to share any of these world-views that would help them to see such actions as repugnant.
Even Europe and America have very strong folk roots in music and rhythm, though the older forms, popular for centuries, tend to get neglected in favour of the mass marketed pop stuff.
Like you, I hope we find ourselves left with a whole ot more than brief rapture

2
Posted by: Thembi | 2010-06-12

Umhlobo wam, ndiyavuma! I couldn''t agree more. Go well my brother.

Reply to Thembi