Posted by: Kat | 2010-01-11

Vitex and pregnancy

Hi there,

I' ve been taking Vitex tincture (chasteberry) for around the last 5 months to normalise my luteal phase, which was 11 days, but thanks to vitex, went up to 14. Anyway, I fell pregnant in November last year, and stopped the vitex immediately, as there was a warning on the bottle that it shouldn' t be taken during pregnancy. Unfortunately, I lost the baby at 6 weeks. I' ve done some research, and it seems that stopping the Vitex cold turkey could have been the cause, but a lot of other websites say it shouldnt be taken during pregnancy. I spoke to my gynae, but she has no clue what it even is...

I' m on the vitex again, as I' m waiting to ovulate for the first time since the miscarriage...when I fall pregnant again, do you reccommend that I continue to take it for the 1st trimester, or do you think I may be better off using a nature identical progesterone cream instead?

Expert ImageNatural health

you read my mind with your last paragraph. no studies has been done on herbs to show the safety or toxicity in pregnancy therefor to have stopped was the right thing to do. Use the progesterone instead. there are many benefits as it also increase the uterus lining and improves conception, it helps for the baby's developing brain etc.

Dr Debbie