Posted by: zara | 2009-04-15

please can u advise what vitamin i can take as a daily supplement, that wont make me gain weight, or give me a headache!
i have tried sooo many vitamins and by the end of the day i get a pounding headache. some of them are ds24,royal6,maxivit etc etc

Dear Zara
There is no reason why you need to take vitamin and mineral supplements on a daily basis if you are eating a varied, balanced diet that includes all the food groups. Recent research indicates that healthy individuals do not need to take vitamin and mineral supplements and if you are gaining weight and developing headaches then please stop taking such supplements immediately. A well balanced diet containing plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables (at least 5-7 portions a day), lean meat, fish (3-4 times a week) and eggs (4 per week), plus 3 cups of fat-free milk or yoghurt or cottage cheese a day, whole, unsifted grains and cereals (3-4 servings), legumes (cooked or canned dry beans, peas or lentils or soya) as often as possible, and poly- or monounsaturated oils or margarine (olive oil, tub marg, etc) (3 tablespoons a day) should provide all the nutrients the body requires for good health and to boost immunity.