Question
Posted by: Anne | 2011/06/09

vitamins for pregnancy

Hi, we are trying to conceive. What healthy food/vitamins would you recommend that could increase our chances of falling pregnant?

Dear Anne
If you are trying to conceive, I believe there are specific vitamin and mineral supplements for men and women who want to conceive. Ask your chemist about them. In general it is important to eat a well balanced diet which is rich in protective nutrients (e.g. plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, wholegrain cereals and breads, milk and dairy products, legumes (dry cooked or canned lentils, beans, peas, soy) and nuts, lean meat, fish and 4 eggs a week, and poly- or monounsaturated fats and oils (olive, canola and avocado oils for example). Avoid all alcohol both during the conception period, and your pregnancy to prevent foetal alcohol syndrome, and during breastfeeding. It is recommended that women who wish to conceive should take folic acid and omega-3 supplements (salmon oil capsules). The folic acid reduces the risk of spina bifida and the omega-3 is important for the healthy development of the brain, nervous system and eye of the baby.
Click on 'DietnFood' at the top of this page and then on 'Eating throughout life' to read the articles I have written about pregnancy and breastfeeding.
Holding thumbs that you conceive soon.

2
Posted by: Anne | 2011/06/10

Thank you very much for this valuable info!

Reply to Anne

Dear Anne
Holding thumbs that you conceive soon.