Question

Vitamins an aid for alcoholism / addiction

I have through a friend come across a doctor who has written multiple books on vitamins in the body. He also has written books on " The Vitamin Cure for Alcoholism" . I am in the process of researching this as Bill W (co-founder of AA for those who are new and not aware of this fact) was a patient of his and encouraged the vitamin treatment, even used it himself. What is your take on this? I have been to rehab and have worked and still am working the 12 Steps. I am however still intrigued by this, and am seriously considering starting treatment and doing the experiment.,...

Expert ImageArchive

Greetings

As a supplement to enhance ones recovery, the so-called Vitamin Cure for Alcoholism is probably harmless. You mention that Bill W was a patient of the doctor who advocates this as an elixir, but the Big Book never once mentions this.
Neither does the Big Book refer to vitamins or anything else, accept complete abstinence, as a key or solution to finally ending alcoholism.
The person who can invent a tablet that can cure addiction, will become an overnight demigod, billionaire and world-famous. They will be paraded on Oprah, Time magazine’s cover and Bill Gates would like to wine and dine them.
Unluckily, for most of these quacks masquerading as addiction experts, this has not happened. Why? Because these people peddle in snake oil and mythological nonsense that proclaim a cure to addiction and alcoholism.
Balderdash and piffle, that’s what it is. A chimera of broken dreams. As an alcoholic, you know that the alcoholic not only suffers from a physical ailment, but also from a spiritual and psychological sickness. All three aspects must be addresses in order for alcoholism to be arrested, and please note, not cured.
So far, addiction has never been cured; we only have a daily reprieve, one day at a time, from the re-activation of this disease.
I have a conservative take on tables as solutions, even if they are vitamins. As a supplement to a robust recovery, yes, but not as an excuse to dabble in denial and ultimately in a relapse.
If you find a book that gives a cure, please let us know. Until then, I hope to see you at the next AA meeting.
Herman

1
Posted by: Addictions Expert Forum | 2010-04-15

Greetings

Herman

Reply to Addictions Expert Forum