Question
Posted by: Wendy | 2008/09/09

Vitamin injection?

The day mother advised me that she heard on a radio station that kids between certain ages must go for this injection to prevent blindness - please advise me if this is true and do i need to take my child to get his injection?

Dear Wendy
I am not sure which vitamin was referred to on the radio, but it could be vitamin A. As far as I know, injections of vitamin A are recommended for infants to boost their immunity and make them less susceptible to measles and other infections (influenza, TB, etc). Vit A does also improve eyesight, but for children who eat a well balanced diet that contains sufficient vitamin A, such an injection may be contraindicated. You can perhaps phone your nearest clinic (the one where your child was immunised) and check with them about these injections.