Posted by: Anne | 2009-02-06

Vitamin D and multiple sclerosis

Dear DietDoc

Is it true that Vitamin D is a natural inhibitor of multiple sclerosis?

If so, what should I be eating more of? As a person with Multiple Sclerosis, I cannot sunbathe, as the heat would exacerbate my symptoms.

Dear Anne
I must admit that I have not yet read scientific studies on the effect vit D has on multiple sclerosis. Exposing one's skin to sunlight does not necessarily involve baking in the sub and heat for hours on end. You can try sitting in the sun for 30 min a day with just your arms and legs exposed, which should not cause overheating. I promise to search the scientific literature for studies on multiple sclerosis and vit D and if these is evidence of a beneficial effect, I promise to write a DietDoc Topic on this subject. So check out the weekly Topics.

Posted by: Anne | 2009-02-08

Wonderful - Thank you so much, DIetDoc!

Reply to Anne