Question
Posted by: Engela Mostert | 2011-04-07

VITAMIN C INTAKE

Good morning - Please advise me on how can I get more Vit C - especially now in winter. Whenever I take Vit C tablets or oranges too often - I seems that the acid levels in my body rises and my fingers and feet get more stiff.

Dear Engela
There are many foods that have a high vitamin C content besides citrus fruits, namely guavas, all the different berry fruits like cranberries and strawberries, spanspek, pawpaw, and the cabbage family (which includes broccoli, green and Chinese cabbage, Brussels sprouts). The RDA for vitamin C is 60 mg a day for adults, so having one serving of any of the listed foods should provide more than enough vit C. Taking mega-doses of vit C, esp in tablet form can cause problems such as kidneys stones and in your case an exacerbation of your joint stiffness. If you do take vit C tablets, only have one every second or third day and do not exceed the RDA.

2
Posted by: Valencia Christian | 2011-04-07

I noticed that you said that you take Vitamin C tablets &  eat oranges too often.
High doses of Vitamin C can have a negative efftect on the body - like anything else used excessively.
The RDA of Vitamin C is 500g.

Reply to Valencia Christian
Posted by: DietDoc | 2011-04-07

Dear Engela