Question
Posted by: Tania | 2009/08/12

Vitamin C during pregnancy and swine flu

Hi Doctor

I have heard not to take extra vitamin C supplements before or during pregnancy. I am now 6 months pregnant, and I am worried of getting swine flu from someone while I am pregnant, because apparently you cannot take Tamiflu while pregnant. Is this accurate? So what can I use to boost my immune system safely? I' ve heard that you can use about 300-600mg of Vit C daily if pregnant. Is this correct, and what else is safe to use to boost immunity?

Thanks a lot!

Tania

You can take Tamiflu in pregnancy if you have swine flu. As a prevention, low dose vitamin C as you have decribd is fine.