Question
Posted by: N | 2008/08/24

Vitamin A

I just wanted to know which creams I should not be using. I' m 16 weeks. Is it safe to use creams containing Vit A on my face?

Vitamin A constituents cause abnormalities in the fetus. If you use a topical cream, very little is absorbed, so the risk is extremely low. Having said this, 2 cases of abnormalities have been reported (out of several hundred) in women using Vitamin A creams. Whether this was due to the cream is not known. With this in mind, it may be safer to use a cream which does not contain Vit A, though the risks are probably very low.