Posted by: Shelly | 2012-10-02

Vit D Defiency

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis and my Vit D Levels should be over 60. I have been put on Calciferal 50 000 since March my levels were on 27 after 7 months of taking the tablet once a week my level is now on 22. What is causing this not to be absorbed. How do you get tested for cealic desease without going for a C Scope. What will be the best calcium to take that does not cause constipation as I have to take between 800mg and 1000mg a day. I am in my late forties.

Expert ImageNatural health

hi Shelly

absorption of Vitamin D can be influenced by co-factors as well. I have found sometimes that patients respond to a lower dose (like 5000iu a day) better than once a week high dose. A blood tests can be done to test for Cealiac's and intestinal permeability - both which can affect absorption. Thyroid is another factor that can affect vitamin D's use in the body. If you have Rheumatoid arthritis this is generally a sign that the whole body could be inflamed particularly the GIT. This can affect absorption. Consider also Omega 3 oils for your symptoms.

Have a look at the metagenics product for Bone health - ostera. Does not cause constipation.

Kind regards
Dr Debbie