Question
Posted by: Markus | 2011-09-23

Visiting a low risk malaria area

I am visiting a low risk malaria area in the coming week. (Sabie/Nelspruit area) It is still spring and it''s still cold, but do you think it would be worth while to drink malaria prevention medicine?

Markus

Expert ImageEnviroHealth expert

In your position would probably not take anti-malaria drugs, because the risk for that area and time of year is indeed very low. I would be conscientious about using all the other preventive measures: mosquito netting, long sleeves, insect repellent, indoors dusk-dawn, and I would watch myself for possible symptoms after the trip. (See http://www.health24.com/medical/Condition_centres/777-792-824-1855,11956.asp)

Please note that I am not a medical specialist - you may like to run this question by our Travel Health Expert too.

2
Posted by: Suevonne | 2011-10-16

This info is the cat''s pjaamas!

Reply to Suevonne
Posted by: EnviroHealth Expert | 2011-09-27

Reply to EnviroHealth Expert