Question
Posted by: MB | 2009-01-11

Visit gynae first?

I have been trying to fall pregnant for over a year, with no success. I have not consulted my gynae yet, as everyone tells you you have to try for at least a year before they will do anything about it, but I now realize it' s time. I think I am ovulating, as I have a fairly regular cycle, but both my husband &  I want to be tested to see what the problem is. Finances are a problem as we are not on medical aid. My question is, should I see my gynae first, or will he just refer me to a fertility specialist? I don' t want to waste time &  money on seeing the gynae first if he' s only going to refer me on, but on the other hand I don' t want to seem like I' m jumping the gun by going straight to Medfem either. ?

Dear MB

I would suggest by doing some practical assessments at home. Simple ovulation monitoring using the ovulation testing kits might be a starting point. You could also have your husband visit a conventional pathology lab to arrange for a sperm analysis. Thirdly you can have your family doctor or GP do a basic gynaecological work-up and refer you to an X-ray department for evaluation of your fallopian tubes by means of an X-ray called HSG (Hysterosalpingogram). Once these tests have been done you could put all the results together and if necessary visit your fertility specialist.

Answered by: Dr. M. I. Cassim

1
Posted by: Mandy | 2009-01-13

How long you should wait before seeking advice depends on your age. However you are, in any case, overdue for a Pap Smear and breast exam. All women should have annual gynae exams. I would choose a gynaecologist with a special interest in Fertility issues, such as Dr Antonio Rodriques at Sandton Medi-Clinic or Dr Nicholas Clark, who works at MedFem as well as Sandton Medi-Clinic.

Do a search on the Medi-Clinic website to see what each gynae/obstetrician' s area of special expertise is.

Maybe you should go on holiday before attempting to fall pregnant - many couples have been known to get pregnant that way.

Reply to Mandy