Posted by: Cathy Badenhorst | 2009-08-31

I have always had problems with my sight especially my left vision. I keep getting stronger lenses and they help for a while. Earlier this eye my optician advised me to see an opthamologist to check for glaucoma. Test were done and he found that I have peripheal vision loss in both eyes but quite extreme in the left eye. He said that the test was not conclusive for glaucoma and that I neeed to get a CAT and Brain scan to rule out tumours. This was done and they found no tumours or growths that would account for the vision loss. He then ran the eye tests again for glaucoma and could still not diagnose what the problem was. He has now advised me to see a neurologist which I cannot afford as my medical aid is exhausted. Please could you advise me.

Hallo Cathy
I think he wants to exclude mini-strokes but also ask your GP to check for Diabetes. Your GP can also do a basic neurology examination to see if there are any signs that could indicate a neurological problem. Have they checked for retinal disease like retinal degeneration too?