Question
Posted by: Daniel | 2008/06/03

Visectomy Reversal

I had a vasectomy about three years ago. Can it be reversed and if so, must it be in a hospital theatre or can it be at the doctor's rooms? If I only need my sperm, but not a reversal, can it be extracted?

Dear Daniel
Vasectomies can be reversed but this procedure is far more involved than the actual vasectomy itself and will require micro surgical techniques. This is best done in a general anaesthetic theatre and the results for natural conception after reversal are poor. In the vast majority of cases following reversal further assisted reproductive technology is necessary. I would therefore advise that the alternative, which is a testis biopsy or testicular aspiration be considered followed by ART. The latter procedures can be undertaken without general anaesthesia and can be done in the doctors consulting rooms.