Question
Posted by: lee | 2010/01/19

virus infection

Hi there. I am very concerned about my daughter - she' s 21 and lives far away from me. She started on Friday with severe heartburn and diarear - she was also developing sores in her mouth. By the morning her glands were swollen and the sores had become worse. She went to a doctor who told her it was a virus and gave her antibiotics. By Sunday it was far worse and she had developed a terrible headache - she could' nt eat or sleep as the ulcers were very bad by this stage and the pain severe. By Monday there was no improvement and she went to her doctor who gave her a mouth wash and pain tablets and told her it was virul and it must work out of her system. Now its tuesday and the pain of the ulcers is unbearable and the headache won' t go away. The diarear has returned and she gets the occassional fever. I phoned the doctor today and he said if it had' nt improved by tomorrow morning he would send her to an ear nose and throat specialist. Have you heard of some kind of virus going around like this and could you please offer any kind of advise - its just getting worse and worse and I' m at a loss of what to do. Many thanks - Lee

Hallo Lee
It is usually caused by a herpes virus but the severe headache worries me, she may have an ecephalitis (viral infection of the brain) I wonder if she shouldn't go for a second opinion too? I am also worried that she will dehydrate with a sore mouth and diarrhoea. She may need admission into a hospital for a drip.

1
Posted by: cyberdoc | 2010/01/20

Hallo Lee

Reply to cyberdoc