Question
Posted by: Nadine | 2010-02-22

Viral Infection of thyroid with pressure on oesophagus

In October last year, I was diagnosed with very over-active thyroid, low iron levels and glandular fever, I had blood tests done as I was dizzy, weak, shaky, had heart palpitations etc. The doctor put me onto Neomercazole, one twice daily. After a month I had more tests done to show very little improvement and was then put onto two twice daily. After another month went by my tests showed my thyroid to be slightly underactive so was put onto one daily. My problem is that for the past two months I have this awful feeling of having a wind trapped in my throat, it''s like a pressure feeling on my oesophagus like I''m choking, but I am able to breathe. I want to cough or get sick to get rid of the feeling. My voice is also slightly hoarse. I''ve had two thyroid sonars done which show no abnormalities. My doctor has since done a blood test for thyroid antibodies which showed none and has since concluded that I have a viral infection of the thyroid. I was put onto a ten day course of Panafcort 2 twice daily for 5 days and 1 twice daily for 5 days which offered definite relief, but as soon as the course ended the symptoms returned. She has put me onto a month course now 2 twice daily for two weeks and then 1 twice daily for another two weeks. I''ve been on the two twice daily for a week now and still have no improvement. I can''t handle this anymore. Can it be a viral infection and if so how will the cortizone help and when will my thyroid levels normalize without having to take Neomercazole any longer? Please help, I don''t understand any of this and just want to get better now.

Expert ImagezENT Expert

Dear Nadine

You should seek the opinion of an Endocrinologist regarding your thyroid functions. You describe symptoms similar to thyroiditis, which does have a viral cause, but you are now suffering from the effects of the virus on the thyroid, rather than the virus itself. Your change in voice may be due to low thyroid levels, and this may require the use of Eltroxin to stabilise this, but an endocrinologist can advise you on that.
Cortisone is used to reduce the inflammation caused by the infection, and is helpful at some stage of the management.
The choking may be due to the unstable thyroid levels, and this may be evaluated by an ENT , however the management by the appropriate physician should solve all of that for you.