Posted by: Nadine | 2011-09-26

Viral gastro enteritis

Dear Doctor,

Last week Wednesday my husband came down, with what the GP later diagnosed as viral gastro enteritis.

I was very worried about contracting it from him and dosed myself with intestinal flora supplements.
I however have been feeling ill on and off since Thursday afternoon with mild nausea and diarrhea and just a general upset tummy feeling.

What I would like to know is, if it is possible to, should I have contracted it from him, be able to re-infect him again?

Thank you for your time.

It is possible that you can re-infect him but his immune response to the virus will be stronger. This means that he might be asymptomatic or have light symptoms with a much shorter duration of viral gastro enteritis.