Posted by: Braindrain | 2009-03-10

Viral Enchephalitis

Are there any long term risks/condition which I have to look out for after having severe viral enchephalitis and how long does it take to recover?
I was in hospital for nearly a month after being in a coma for more than a week and a fever for a long period around 40 degrees, and thereafter another 10 days in ICU. I struggled with concentration, short term memory, sight, hearing, walking, etc. I am now a month at home and can already walk and started to use my computer today, but still struggle to concentrate for longer periods. My body is also still very sensitive as my skin literally peeled off from head to toe and I only use baby soap. I still cannot get into the sun and cannot take any heat as it feels if my head gets swollen then.

The complications of a viral enchephalitis can be persistant for a long period of time. There are a wide variety of different enchepalitis virusses and I am not aware which one you are suffering from. I therefore, recommend that you either advise me about the one you have or that you contact your doctor who treated you to repeat a lumbar puncture.