Question
Posted by: eve | 2008/09/28

violent son

My son' s(26) girlfriend broke up with him after 7 years. At first it looked as if he made peace with it but after about 10 days he started asking questions. When a man started visiting her he became aggressive and started smashing things and threatens to commit suicide or kill her. I am a widow and he stays with me. I tried to get him help but he refuses and says all he wants is her. I am desperate.

Sorry to hear of your awful predicament. Is it possible that you could persuade him that the way he is behaving will alarm her and make her less likely to come back, whereas seeking proper help would demonstrate to her that he recognizes there are problems and that he is trying to sort these out ? If there seems to be a real risk of him harming someone, this is serious, but hard to deal with in that the police, even if ever efficient are usualyl reluctant to act on threats ( which are also hard to prove ), and compulsory admission, theoretically possible, can be hard to arrange. Having the consent or request of the next of kin, such as yourself, helps, and you could discus this option with your doctor, as it would need medical reports and signatures, too.

1
Posted by: EL | 2008/09/28

If he really wants her he is doing the wrong things, very very wrong! It will drive her even further away. Google " magic of making up" , buy the book for him and let him read it, it will give him hope and will let him calm down. The book is not all about getting his ex back, but it will teach you to be happier and maybe after reading the book and doing what the book says he may not even want her back and be a happier person.

Reply to EL