Question
Posted by: Jay | 2011-11-16

VIIBRYD®  (vilazodone HCl)

Dear Doc
I was hoping you could shed some light on when VIIBRYD®  (vilazodone HCl) is estimated to be released in RSA? I have serve anxiety and wondering if it is worth waiting for this?
The only drug that has helped me has been Aropax- But the weight gain was a bother. Many prescribed me the over popular Cipralex. But didn''t help at all.
Thanks Doc
J

You need a good re-assessment by a good and up-to-date psychiatrist, and a discussion of the full range of treatment options. Viibryd ( what a ridiculous name ! ) not yet available in SA, seems to be both like many other ASSRI ADs already available, but with a new wrinkle which may or may not prove useful in practice. But there are other recent developments. such as Agomelatine ( Valdoxane ), recently launched here, which seems promising - works in a manner distinctly unlike the other ADs available, and seems N OT to cause weight gain or the sexual side-effects that were quite common on many of the other Ads. There's no need to wait for Viibry, especially as the ridiculous blunders and delays at the MCC which has to register new drugs, are currently delaying many potentially useful meds unnecessarily long, so the length of waiting time may be hard to predict.
Also, remember there is excellent scientific evidence that CBT ( Cognitive-Behaviour Therapy ), a talking therapy, is usually highly effective i treating Anxiety and relatred conditions

1