Question
Posted by: Terence | 2011-09-01

Viibryd

Have you heard of Viibryd (vilazodone) and what chance is there that this drug will reach our pharmacies. Why does a drug thats been proven clinically in one country( USA) needs again to be proven clinically in another, surely this is just a beurocratic money macking racket. Its obviously a redundant excercise.

It'll probably be a while before this reacher SA, sfor various reasons. Only in January 2011 was it approved in the USA by the FDA, so it's really new. Remember that this is the stage at which every drug seems marvellous - its potential benefits have been described, and many of the disadvantages it will inevitably have ( ALL drugs have 'em ) are not yet clear. It seems to be like the SSRI's we already have, but perhaps with less of the sexual side-effects, though with other side-effects like nausea and diarrhoea, like the existing ones.
I think it is active at the 5HT1a receptor like Buspirone, a drug I worked with at one stage, in its earlier research phase, some years ago.
It would probably save time and money it the rather severe and expensive registration process followed bu the American FDA was accepted in other countries. Certainly it is riculous and a waste of time and money for smaller countries ( in drug terms ) like any of us in Africa, to insist on re-examining the issue all over again.
Added to this, the South African MCC ( Medicine's Control Council ) has been a disgraceful disaster for years, incompetently taking ages to deal with applications for the registration of drugs in this country ; probably those in charge of it need to be replaced before efficiency could become possible again. Once upon a time it worked tolerably well.

1