Posted by: Parent | 2009-07-24

Hi there, i see the parenting forum which was once here is no longer on? i would of typically asked this ? there, but maybe you can assist or any other parents.

I have never liked processed foods esp for kids, my kids party is coming up, what can i serve the kids instead of the usual hot dogs, also for a nice change! something they wl stl eat and lilke? I am also put off by the article today on hot dogs and cancer causing agents yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought of nice low GI mealie bread but realised not all kids will like the maizy texture? might be boring for them?

I have wrecked my brains, cant think of anything to make/buy as i dont mind making something either.

Pls pls help....

Dear Parent
If you don't want to use processed meats which may contain nitrites and colourants (that may be cancer promoting), then use unprocessed meats such as chicken breasts. Flatten skinless chicken breasts by beating with a kitchen mallet and then cut reasonable strips and grilled them on a grilling pan with a bit of olive oil and some herbs. Drizzle with lemon juice and place a strip in each hot dog roll. I am sure the children will enjoy their novel hot chicken rolls. You can also mix finely chopped onion and gherkin with cottage cheese or drained tuna fish and a bit of mayonnaise and serve on hamburger rolls with a piece of crips lettuce and a round of tomato.
Hope the party is a great success!