Question
Posted by: victim | 2011/01/14

victimazation and intimidation in the work place

Will I get into trouble if I record (with my cellphone) converstations that happen between me and the perpetrator? Then...what can I do with it? The law says it protects you but when push comes to shove the employee gets the knife ultimately. Everyday there is a problem...might not be a big one but it is slowly eating away at me, my character, emotions, my ability, confidence..... everything. Work is 5 days a week, 8 hours a day, the weekends are too short to recuperate from the hell in between. If I were able to get another job I would I feel so stuck and helpless exactly what they want.

Expert ImageLabour lawyer

re: Victimization and intimidation in the workplace

You won't get into trouble if you record your conversations. You need to raise a grievance as soon as possible.

4
Posted by: Outsider | 2011/02/05

You should have some form of access to your companies policies and procedures. You should get a copy of this from your human resources in there it will have the steps you need to follow with filing a grievance.

If you do take the filing a grievance route be prepared to keep your head held high and remain strong it can either work out for the best that your life becomes more bearable at work or it could become extremely tense and will make you want resign straight away. Just remember STAY level headed and remain positive and strong that''s the only way you will get through it.

Good Luck

Reply to Outsider
Posted by: Labour Lawyer | 2011/01/28

Reply to Labour Lawyer
Posted by: victim | 2011/01/20

Thank you Jacques that helps me alot.
Its just the snid comments made everyday like " if you join a union we will take your annual increase away"  "  I watch you on the cameras everyday, just waiting for you to do something wrong"  its hard to work in such an enviroment especially when you know you do a good job, have a sound record and consider yourself a worthy employee.
Thanks again!

Reply to victim
Posted by: Jacques | 2011/01/19

Voice recordings carry very little weight in court and none in a corporate diciplanary procedure. If you feel that you are being victimized, file a grievance and follow the proper chanels.

Remember that when filing a grievance it must always be filed with your direct superior even if the grievance filed is concerning him. If you go over your direct superiors head you will loose the credibility of the grievance because of not following the correct channels. The grievance procedure also needs to be judged over by an independant mediator.

If you follow the procedures to the letter and the company does not then you have a very strong case you can present to the CCMA. This is the reason that most company''s take all diciplinary proceures and grievances very serious, because they know that if they do not they could loose the case at the CCMA.

Hope this helps...

Reply to Jacques