Question
Posted by: Rosie | 2012-12-04

Vibrators and numbness

I recently bought a bullet vibrator. I have used it both externally and internally and think I may have climaxed once. Today, external stimulation on my clitoris with the vibrator made me numb-not the sensation I was going for! I am a virgin and am waiting to be in serious relationship. I went to a sex shop but was too scared to buy a vibrator as I am quite tight and feel like it may be a bit frowned upon to lose my virginity to a vibrator. I also have very short orgasms through masturbation-about 5 seconds. Is this normal?

Dear Rosie

If used repetitively over the same area you may over stimulate the nerves and so create altered or diminished sensation over that area. This should all return with time. It is normal, and no problem in the long term. You may want to use the vibrator more lightly and for shorter periods of time and over a wider area.
You also mentioned your short orgasms. 5 seconds does not sound too short and is quite normal given that average is between 5 an 7 seconds. If you want longer or more intense orgasms you could try stimulating yourself sufficiently to build up a peak that then climaxes to a more powerful orgasm. Try to stimulate yourself with reading or visual material, or by fantasizing. When you are using the vibrator and are getting to the point of orgasm pull back, wait for the sensation to settle and then start again, repeating this process several times. You will certainly experience a more powerful orgasm after this.
You should certainly not feel bad about buying a vibrator, you should be commended on taking full responsibility for your own pleasure. If it is your concern to preserve your hymen then it is best to keep with a small vibrator. There may be others apart from the bullet vibrators that you can use. If you are embarrassed to go into sex store, then online shopping may be helpful.

SASHA. For further information please consult SASHA’S website at www.sexualhealth.qw.co.za/dru. For referral to a professional in your vicinity, please send an email to helpline.sasha@gmail.com

2

I have orgasms quite normally through masturbation with my hand and intercourse (and have been having them for about 40 years!) but recently wanted to try a vibrator just to see what I may have been missing out on. I found that the vibrating sensation just made me feel numb, no enjoyment, no arousal. I tried one of Ann Summers most expensive 'rabbit' vibrators. Obviously they are not for everyone, did absolutely nothing for me but I do enjoy orgasms normally. I think there should be advice given with vibrators that for some people, the vibrating sensation is just too strong and just produces numbness, it doesn't mean there is anything 'wrong' with you.

Posted by: tOPDOG | 2012-12-05

Y DONT U GET THE REAL THING...

Reply to tOPDOG