Question
Posted by: Charly | 2012-08-22

Viable Pregnancy?

Due to sex on only 2 days I am sure to have conceived either 15th or 18th July. My cycles are on average 33 days and I ovulate on average day 22. Blood was drawn on on 13.8 and hcg was 2000, which the doc considered to be excellent. For my ultrasound on 16.8 we were suppose to see a heartbeat. Just an empty gestational sac that measures 5weeks 3days. I have no bleeding or spotting, my dates can''t be off, due I still have hope? If not, how long do I have to wait for a natural abortion?

Thank you!

At 5 weeks and 3 days you wouldn't see the heartbeat yet. Repeat the scan in 7 - 10 days.

5
Posted by: Charly | 2012-09-10

Almost 4 weeks after the first scan I just repeated the scan and the pregnancy is still at 5 weeks- an empty gestational sac. So the blighted ovum diagnosis is confirmed. However my hcg levels still haven''t dropped and I do not spot at all. Any ideas of how to help reduce my hcg and start this process naturally???

Reply to Charly
Posted by: gynaedoc | 2012-08-29

Posted by: Nini | 2012-08-24

Of course late ovulatation will lead to late implantation. Implantation usually happens anywhere from 5 to 12 days after fertilisation. And fertilisation can happen also within about 2 to 5 days after ovulation. So you never know!

Reply to Nini
Posted by: Charley | 2012-08-23

Thank you Nini! I just don''t want to hope when there isn''t any. Just now I''m so confused with all the misdiagnosed miscarriages and had hoped to be part of that, because I''m not bleeding. However the most success stories come from people who''s dates where off. Mine can''t be off and I''m so scared to due another test and have the same negative outcome. Really at time of ultrasound I was 6 weeks and 2 or 4 days, so why was the sac empty and measured a week less? Due people who ovulate so late also have a late implantation? I have so many questions and worries in this state of uncertainty

Reply to Charley
Posted by: Nini | 2012-08-23

I am no expert or doctor but it is still quite earlyto hear a definate heartbeat at anything less that 6 to 8 weeks. If your HGC levels were nice and high and doc was happy with it then all you can do is give it a few more days and perhaps test again.

It is still really early for an ultra sound, and that is for this exact reason - that you might not see a heartbeat yet, or that the foetus is too small to see. It really could mean anything - the only advice I can give is to have another blood test in a few days time to see if your HGC levels have increased.

Reply to Nini