Question
Posted by: Anxiety Attacks make you vomit? | 2011/02/11

Verybery

Good Day
I would like to know, about a year ago I the store where I worked was robbed at gunpoint and It left me feeling scared for my life. Since then I get these nervous feelings even under normal circumstances. and now lately I start having these feelings like I am about to die, I feel like I am going to die and then I start to panic because I have a little girl to care for. And this week I started getting this ''benoud'' feeling and then something pushes up into my chest and it feels like I am choking like I cant breathe like I cant swollow and then I get nausaus and start to throw up and I just feel warm and uncomfortable. Could this be signs of an anxiety attack? I use calmeds but it does not stop this so could it be anxiety. I also vomit up acid and the docter thinks its just acid reflux but I am not sure as I have no pains in my stomach or chest.
I would appreciate your help because the more I worry about this the more I tend to get these symtoms.

Thanks so much
V

Sounds like panic atacks, though their could be an element of PTSD. And as you wisely recognize, with any sort of anxiety symptoms, the more you worry about them, the worse they get - it's a vicious cycle. The best way to be sure of the diagnosis would be to see a good local psychiatrist ( this is more than a GP's trained to diagnose well ) for a proper assessment and then a discussion of diagnosis and treatment options. Its likely that with CBT and some carefully chosen meds, you coul be feeling a good deal better before long

2

Posted by: Liza | 2011/02/11

What you''re describing sounds like a panic attack caused by post traumatic stress syndrome. Over the counter medication doesn''t help much for this. CBT style counseling is the best way to learn how to handle panic attacks without medication. You should also see a psychiatrist for some medication options. There are anti-depressants that help with anxiety over the long term, and tranquillizers like Ativan that is used over the short term until the anti-depressants start working. If you cannot afford private health care, you can call the Depression and Anxiety group helpline - the number is at the top of the page - they will be able to advise you on where to go for help.

Good Luck
Liza

Reply to Liza