Posted by: Shauna | 2013-01-23

Thank you for this forum.
I hope you can still " save"  this very unfit person I turned into. Having been very active in my youth, and into my thirties, over the past 10 years I have descended into an unfit pit. I''m 55 now, looking after two toddlers, and I have difficulty keeping up with them. Is there any way in which I could build up some fitness without joining a gym or appointing a personal trainer? I took a look at what " equipment"  I may have at home and came up with this: a portapool (water up to my thighs), a staircase inside and two steps to my front door outside, a mini trampoline. Although I have 1.5kg weights, due to a current tennis elbow and inflamed shoulder joint I cannot do much with my arms. I''m only able to leave home to go for a long walk over weekends. Any ideas of where to start?

Expert ImageBiokinetics expert

Hi Shauna,

I tell everyone, when you have kids, play with them/exercise with them for an hour! This is exercise on its own as toddlers and kids are energetic :)

Yes you are taking the correct steps if you want to train at home.
- Stair climbing
- Lunges and squats
- Wall-pushups (because of your elbow and shoulder)
- Sit ups
- Standing calf raises
- Plank for 45 seconds
- Go into the pool after these

These basic body-weight and home exercises should be good to start with.

All the best :)