Posted by: lolli | 2009-01-27

My maltese has extremely bad breath. She is a year old and has had this problem for at least 3 months. It is affecting my relationship with her as I want to be sick every time she opens her mouth. When it started, it wasnt this bad, its getting worse.

I have tried several options, minty toys, brushing her teeth, oral gel. etc. Is there any way of knowing if she has a digestive problem. Shes got no problem " planting landmines"  all over the place and she eats without a problem. Her diet consists mainly of chicken livers/chicken livers and rice. Now and again, but not often she gets small amounts of red meat. The local pet store told me of a new product on the market that is extremely healthy and I should not feed her the livers or any food that we eat. I took a sample, but the dog HATES it. Further, I have noticed that recently she is not drinking much water, even after exercising. Please advise.

Dear Lolli

A visit to the vet for a mouth exam and advice on diet re Hills t/d is your best way forward. You are on the wrong track here.

Posted by: Chill | 2009-01-27

Yea, her diet is completely inadequate. She needs to be on a good commercial dogfood, and you' re going to have fun weaning her onto it since she' s not used to it - you will have to vasbyt and harden your heart, it' s in the dog' s best interests!

Reply to Chill