Question
Posted by: Storm | 2010-09-13

very unfit

i have started excerisising after a very long period of being inactive. I have been lifting weights and i have a stationary bicycle.
I have 2 questions
I lift heavy weights - but am not sore the next day? I am pretty sure that i am doing it right becuase a while ago i did have a personal trainer and he taught me how to lift? (i bench pressed 30kg last nigh and am not sore?)

then, i can only manage like 5 minutes on the stationary bike on a level one? how do i increase this? i really want to get fit enough to start doing HIIT training - how do i build up?

(by the way - im a 30yr old female)

thanks!

Hi Storm

Re the weights...how many reps are you doing? You don't necessarily have to get sore in order for the training to be effective. You should get tired though, and that's why not only the weight but the number of lifts matters.

I also doubt technique is the reason - in fact, if anything, poor technique would cause more pain, not less! So I suspect it's just a question of getting into a routine, and increase the volume of training and you'll see changes start to happen. But you needn't wait for pain to be your guide.

Re the cycling, you just need to be patient. It will take a while. I suspect you're probably going a little hard at the moment, if you can only finish 5 minutes. You'd be better off if you reduced the intensity a little, pedal more slowly, given that you're on level 1, and try to get 10 minutes out at least. Then over time, you'll adapt and get up to 30 minutes. but it's just a gradual build, that's all you can aim for and it will take a bit of time.

There are programmes on the Fitness page of this site, incidentally, that have this systematic progression, and they're quite helpful as a goal-setting tool and also a "roadmap" to give you some direction.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2010-09-20

Hi Storm

Reply to fitnessdoc