Question
Posted by: Beryl | 2011/04/06

Very stiff muscles

My husband 58 tries to walk 12km most days - he however is always very stiff not in the joints but the muscles - i think he is either over doing it or he should be taking suplements. this is not something that is just happening he has had it for quite some time and it is getting worse now so much so that he battles to bend down can you advise what could be doing this or is he over doing the 12kms - i would say he walks this distance 3 to 4 times a week
regards

hi Beryl

He's stiff all the time? That would be unusual. Getting stiff the first few times is expected, nothing wrong with it, but it usually goes away with time and training.

Is it possible that it's just tightness, like inflexibility that seems like stiffness? Maybe just a programme of regular stretching would be effective for him? I don't know if he's overdoing it or not. It's possible, of course, and anyone can overtrain given the right circumstances.

I'd look at stretching regularly, and maybe especially lower back and hamstrings. I don't think that it's a damage issue from exercise, but something from chronic training and use.

1
Posted by: fitnessdoc | 2011/04/14

hi Beryl

Reply to fitnessdoc